A quantity surveyor takes part in construction project from inspection stage to completion. They do varieties of jobs that depend on company size or projects scale they are working. For example in a small company or small project, quantity surveyor duties are limited like preparing takeoff measurement, bill of quantities, final accounts, estimating and some others.
In the large construction, quantity surveyor job is complicated because they perform different functions in various stage of the project. According to RIBA plan of work stage preparation and brief, concept design, developed design, technical design, construction stage, handover and close out and post-occupancy evaluation.
The RIBA plan of work
When construction project begins, the quantity surveyor should prepare some works before construction activity commence. If you are a quantity surveying students or trainee quantity surveyor, you need to remember the following works you should do.
1. Study the drawings carefully ( without study drawing we can’t calculate quantity of any structure )
2. Finalize the items of the work with their units of measurements. Prepare the checklist of the items.
3. Write a brief description of each item of the work on the measurement sheet.
4. Calculate length, width & depth of different components for calculation of quantity of concrete & Formwork.
5. Calculate the quantity of formwork for beams, columns.
6. Enter the length, width/breath & depth/height in measurement sheet for concrete & formwork item.
7. Prepare bar bending schedule.
8. Calculate the length of bars of different diameter in different components such as slab, beam, column, footing etc.
9. Calculate the number of bars of different diameter in different components.
10. Enter the number, length & weight of bar for different bars in different components in Bar bending schedule.